Beets contain unique health-boosting nutrients that should be part of young athlete’s vegetable list. They are sweet and delicious. Although beets are nutritious, they have the highest sugar content of all vegetables. Since they have high levels of carbohydrates, young athletes can best benefit by eating them prior to game or training.
- Beets are high in vitamin C to help boost immune system (think less colds and minimum sick days at home)
- Beets contain essential minerals like potassium, supporting healthy nerve and muscle function
- Need to get some quick energy boost before exercising? Drink beet juice. According to a study, those who drank beet juice prior to exercise were able to exercise for up to 16 percent longer
- Manganese, another essential minerals, is good for your bones, liver, kidneys and pancreas (think detoxification!)
- Beets have natural occurring nitrates, which are converted into nitric oxide in your body helping to relax lowering blood pressure